MoorMums Forum

Go Back   MoorMums Forum > Baby chat > Chat

Notices

Old 4th May 2012, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Default Any views on local primary schools?

My eldest isn't due to start school until Sep 2013, but I'm aware that we will need to make our choices later on this year.

We live in central Ilkley (near Tesco), so we're about the same distance from All Saints, Ashlands and Ben Rhydding.

Any views on any/all of these?

Any advice on how to choose?

There is a feature on MoorMums about what the process is for entries to primary school.

J
Old 5th May 2012, 08:31 AM
Super Poster

Hi there its the hardest thing choosing schools but we are very lucky to live in an area were all the local schools are very good with outstanding ofsted reports so its Totaly down to personal preferance.
I have 2 boys my oldest is in year 4 at ashlands and my youngest is also due to start in Sept 2013 so he will hopefuly go to ashlands too. We looked round all the local schools in the area when jack was due to start and I decided on ashlands for 1 reason and that was that is seemed very friendly and the head teacher was what I would class as a typical primary school teacher. Very passionate about what she did and she spoke to my husband and I like we were children but I loved her. Ashlands is a lot smaller than all saints and it doesn't have all of the fancy equipment but we have been very happy with our choice and most important so has jack. We had 1 small problem regarding his year 2 teacher but thankfully she has now left and all of the other teachers have been fantastic. Thomas is looking forward going to his big brothers school soon.
Old 7th May 2012, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Hi Joanna,

Thanks for your response. Ashlands is in lead for us as it is closest and I think it is the one we're mostly likely to get in to (as it has the largest intake - 60, compared to 45 at All Saints and 30 at Ben Rhydding).

Also, everyone else I've spoken to whose kids go there have said they are really pleased with the school.

Thanks again,

Jess
Old 20th May 2012, 10:51 PM
Super Poster

I don't know Ilkley schools but my advice would be to have a look round and see what sort of "vibe" you feel. Ignore Ofsted reports as heads and staff come and go and a school is only as good as its staff. If the staff are all friendly and look comfortable and relaxed that is a good sign. If everything else is equal go for the smaller school where your child won't get swallowed up.
Old 18th June 2012, 03:24 PM
Regular

Location: www.hedgehogchildminding.webs.com and also https://www.facebook.com/HedgehogChildmindingMenston
Default All Saints

My daughter was moved from Menston Primary to All Saints in Ilkley and they were amazing, she moved up sets in only weeks and we noticed her ' individual needs' were being met, she was learning more and they treated her more as an individual rather than just one of the children.

Because it has a very Canadian influence, it was less like the army than Menston and more about the children knowing they needed to get coats hung up and also be in class at the beginning of the day rather than lining up and being shouted at to get in a line.

I can highly recommend it
Old 18th June 2012, 03:33 PM
Super Poster

Default hi

Hi do you mind me asking why you moved from Menston school? i just ask as i have my 2 there and they hate it! I really want to move them but dont know if its the right thing to do.....
Old 19th June 2012, 09:36 AM
Regular

Location: www.hedgehogchildminding.webs.com and also https://www.facebook.com/HedgehogChildmindingMenston
Default Sent you a message Jules

Sent you a message Jules